Something's amiss with that title, huh?
My great friend's ever-so-insightful hubby made a great point on his FB account yesterday. On your birthday, how would you feel if everyone said "happy cake and ice cream day" to you instead of "happy birthday?"
In the same way, Thanksgiving is not a day where we are just supposed to wallow in the yummy food without realized the real meaning behind the event. This is a day that our culture has stepped out and said, "Hey, we need to be thankful for what we have!" And WHO do we thank for all those blessings?
We know who.... The Maker of heaven and earth, The Creator of the universe and every flower and every bird and you and me, Our Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ.
So, in honor of this special day of giving thanks to the One who created me and sustains me, day in and day out, I'm going to give you a list (in no particular order, besides the first 5) of some of the many things I have to be thankful for today!
1. My Savior, Jesus Christ. Without him, I'd be wasting away trying to fill the God-shaped hole in my heart with the fleeting things of this world. Thank you, Jesus, for saving me and calling me to yourself!
2. My amazing husband. Brad, you are the greatest earthly blessing in my life. You make me laugh and challenge me and drive me crazy, but I cannot imagine where I'd be without you! I love you more than anything on this earth!
3. My sweet, albeit mischievous, little almost-22 month old. Lucy, you are a miracle baby! You are so sweet and keep me on my toes on a daily basis! Thank you for loving me and for teaching me more about myself and my God.
4. My family. Wow. I'm so blessed! Growing up, I was so much more of a "friends" person. But with my age...sheesh, 30 years... I'm now aware of just how amazing it is to have parents and sisters and grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins who love me and and support me, despite any character flaws or how I look on Christmas morning!
5. My friends...my extended family members here on this earth. There's nothing like being able to share in the family of Christ with your closest friends. I cannot count how many times I've been able to sit and think of how blessed and lucky I am to have people like YOU in my life! Seriously, amazing.
Now the "in no particular order" things:
- my past. Where would I be without the things I've been through and the lessons I've learned and the people I've known along the way?
- my time in Tanzania. Man, I love that place!
- my outgoing personality. Yes, sometimes it's a curse, but most of the time, I'm totally blessed! God knows what he's doing!
- ceiling fans and air conditioners. :)
- great food.
- my health and my family's health.
- a place to live!
- the internet... helping me stay just a little bit closer to those who are really far away.
- TV shows that make me laugh
- my local friends who have taken me in like a sister. Oh, how I long to include some of these in #5!
- big, genuine belly laughs.
- the chance to see people fulfilling what God's called them to do and seeing him bless their obedience.
- Christmas trees and Christmas-smelling candles and Christmas lights and Christmas music!
- MUSIC!
- a really great book
- God's amazing creation. His awe-inspiring creative character. Take a look around you, outside, everywhere - God created all that and created the people to invent and make those things!
What are you thankful for today?
Thursday, November 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Sweet potatoes! :)
ReplyDeleteNo seriously...way too many things to name in a blog comment. One of these things is you - likeminded, challenging, and FUN!