Monday, September 16, 2013

Big Fat Greek Vacation - Part 3: The Acropolis

We made our way into Athens on the first day after the conference ended. Mere loaded up Will in the backpack, we got all sun-screened up, and headed up the mountain. 

 The ticket booth was about halfway up the hill. The line for tickets was L O N G! I think we waited in line for 45 min to an hour. Finally...we got started up the mountain. It was quite a hike! Lucy had a walking stick.
 Had to have a smoothie on the way up! 
 You could see the whole of Athens from up here. I can see why they made this the center of Athens in Biblical times. Seems it would be easy to fortify and protect because you can see anyone coming up the mountain. And seriously, it was quite a hike up there!
I LOVE huge amphitheaters! 
Unfortunately, you couldn't go into this one like we did in Jerash in Jordan.



 You can see just how close you are to the actual columns! And yet...
 And we didn't touch!
 The Parthenon is amazing. It's huge! Again, you can't go inside of it. Boo. 

Another amphitheater.
 They were doing quite a bit of restoration/construction up on the hill and there was construction junk everywhere. Kinda messed up the ambiance, but oh well. I guess I'm glad they are working to restore it so that we can still see it for years to come!
(Notice MGW's headphones...Her hunny bunny gave her an audio tour of the Acropolis. She listened and filled us in on all the info we needed.)


 LOVE this shot!


There's another temple to another false god/goddess that's just next to the Parthenon. These statues are in amazing condition!

 Leaving the top of the mountain. Back through all the columns.
 Lucy and I got separated from Brad, MGW, and Will. I had a random woman take a picture of me and Lucy bug. I think this sequence is funny!

End of Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sensitive in your language. We love you and cannot wait to read your comments!