On our last full day in Greece, we loaded up and headed off to Delphi.
The drive was very different from what we'd seen before in Greece. The mountains! WOW! Bill & Sheila would have loved this drive! They love some mountains and trees and water!
Way off in the distance, you can see Corinth.
Don't be fooled by the beautiful scenery. It was still HOT! I mean, really hot!
We arrived at the archaeological site.
MGW had said from the get-go that she wanted to carry Will in the hiking backpack up Delphi, while wearing her jorts and fedora hat. SO...
LOVE this picture!
Up we went!
And up...
Will. Still smiling!
And up...
This is Zeus' belly button?!? (MGW, correct me if I'm wrong...) But apparently it fell from the sky and they thought it was the center of the world for a while... Crazy Greeks.
The views were spectacular!
(I probably took 10 pictures of this. I love the composition of this photo - with the ruins up against the magnificent blue sky...ahhh)
Right after this, Lucy had had her fill of OLD things. She was hot and tired and not interested in being anywhere except the pool (can you blame her?). And Brad had been fighting with his bulging disc. SO, those two stopped about halfway up the mountain and hung out while MGW, Will (not that he had a choice), and I headed on up to the top.
OH YES. An amphitheater!
I believe at one point on the very steep hike I told Mere that I was pretty sure this steep of a hike on such a hot day with the intense sun was going to kill me. Sheesh. Glad it didn't. That'd be a long way to have to carry a body down!
Oh, the hiking...
LOVE that you can see the Greek writing on these columns.
The brochure we got at the start of the hike had great potential... until you opened it up and read "sites 7-55, historical buildings" or something equally unhelpful. So I have no idea what these buildings were.
AT THE TOP!!!
There's an "Olympic Stadium" at the top.
The Stadium - looking to the Right.
And looking to the Left.
I MADE IT!
And back down we went.
And again, the views were so magnificent that I took basically the same pictures all over again!
Will Zonked Out.
He pretty much cried the last half of our trek up the mountain. But I'll tell you what, you've never seen determination like I saw in MGW that day! She said at one point that she was fine with him crying in her ear. She didn't care. She was getting to the top. Poor little guy. But, at least we have proof that she did it!
Reunited and it feels so good!
Walking back to the car...
Back in the car, we got more amazing views as we drove back down the mountain.
We stopped in this little town on the way back down for our last Greek lunch.
Oh, I wish I was at this little cafe right now. It was THE BEST food. And the environment. And the incredibly Greek man who served us food that his wife was upstairs making! And it wasn't hot. We sat outside under this amazing canopy of trees and wow....
Impromptu photo shoot...
Back on the road.
Ah, Delphi. You didn't disappoint.
Somehow we missed the big Oracle that Mere had wanted to see and that Delphi is so famous for. Not sure how because we were at the right place - I guess. Oh well, maybe it was one of those listed in "7-55 historical sites." Hmmm...




















































Just finished reading all your Greece posts! I really really would love to go to Greece. But I really REALLY want to go visit y'all!!
ReplyDelete