Thursday, December 15, 2011

Far East Friends & Decked Halls

(Started this yesterday... boo, internet)
We just finished a wonderful visit with some new friends of ours who are from China. Brad made good ole fried chicken (Paula Dean's recipe), and I made mashed potatoes and an oh-so-delicious green bean casserole (recipe from here). Yum! And of course, sweet tea. :) And some yummy oatmeal cookies (recipe from here). It was quite a different meal for our friends! They commented that they've never eaten anything like this before! I sent them home with a "doggie bag" of food and a smile on their faces!

Mr. China commented that he loved going into American's houses because they are like museums. Funny. I've never thought about all the knick-knacks that I have around my house. We have lots of stuff from Africa and India, two of our most favorite places to visit/live. To me, my knick-knacks are memories and things I cherish...but I reckon to a Chinaman, they look like things in a museum! Ha! (...and maybe a museum is just things someone decides to keep for memories and things he/she cherishes...something to think about)

The other thing that stands out to me about our visit was hearing about their lives in China. Wow. You know, all the things we have read about the severity of living a life devoted to following Christ in China, wow. They are true. Mrs. China's dad was imprisoned for 3 years once! It was quite eye-opening to me to realize that to them, in coming here, to the Middle East, they have MORE freedom to worship our Father than they have in their own country! MORE. Can you imagine? We are shocked at how much less freedom we feel like we have to do certain things. I just can't imagine...

Please stop and thank the Father for the freedom to worship Him as you please, and where you please, and when you please, RIGHT NOW. Wow. They told us that they've never used instruments in their house churches (back in China) and that sometimes, they don't even clap out loud because it would make to much noise. CLAPPING! Mr. China said that he felt strange when they first got here and went to group where their "was so much noise."

Anyway. What a wonderful evening! Eye-opening. This couple is amazing and I'm so blessed - again - by my international friends! They teach me so much!

In other news - I realized that I took all these pictures of my "decked halls" and haven't shared any of them!
Ok, this isn't a "hall" but it sure is decked out! 
(It's a chicken pot pie with homemade pie crust!)
 This is Lucy's tree in her room! I wanted to get a picture of her with it, but she's not so into the pictures these days.
 This is our TZ tree! We bought it when we lived there and it's come back overseas with us. It's in our dining area now. LOVE it!
 My nativity scene from TZ. It stays out year-round, but this year, it got pretty white lights around it! 
And here's our tree! Yay! And in the desert, "stockings are hung by the AC with care" :)
 And for the first time, we have lights in our front window! 
 I found this little sparkly tree in the Japanese version of the Dollar Store that we have across the border. 
 This is our nativity set made from banana leaves. (Also from TZ)
 On our trip to Turkey, we had a night of painting for the ladies. I loved it! This is my creation from that night. There's a few more gifts under the tree, for future gifts...
We went to the Big D the other day for some Christmas shopping and more importantly, Texas Roadhouse - YUM - and we stopped in a big toy store for Brad and Lucy to play. She loves train sets. (Got some fun times in store with Papa Bill next year!) *We got her a girl's train set for Christmas! Yay! She's gonna love it!*
 Her first encounter with "Santa" and his reindeer (at Pottery Barn Kids)
 Playing with a big doll house at PBK. *Yay, we're getting her a doll house for her birthday in January! She's gonna love it!* It's exciting to see your child enjoying a toy that's the exact thing your about to give her!
 MY Christmas present came in the mail the other day and Lucy and Daddy wrapped it up all pretty. Lucy was a big help and loved putting the tape on the paper.
 She did great!
And this is the Random picture for this post... I can't remember if I've shared this picture or not. Lucy occasionally brings her tricycle into the living room, turns it upside down, and spins the wheels like this. Now, this probably doesn't mean anything to most of you, but it reminds me of ME when I was little. My grandmother, Maw-Maw, had a stationary bike in her living room. And I remember many, many times sitting in front of the wheel and spinning it and pretending like I was making taffy. (You know, like they do in Gatlinburg?!?!) I have no idea what is going on in my little sweet thing's mind when she's doing this, and I know she's never seen it like I had, but I like to think she's making taffy!

2 comments:

  1. So many comments I want to make here! Love all your Christmas--especially the TZ nativities!

    Love trips to big cities and all the familiar things there. If I weren't reading the post, I'd totally think you were in the US--have thought that before! I think it was a PF Changs pic last time.

    Our kids turn over the trikes often and pretend they are doing things with the wheels.

    Oh...and I love that the stockings are hung by the A/C.

    fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Very interesting what you learned from your Chinese friends. Continue posting these when you meet more international friends, please!

    ReplyDelete

Please be sensitive in your language. We love you and cannot wait to read your comments!