We've had a long week. 3 nights this week in a row, the power was cut for about 2 hours from 4-6 am. Yes, you read A.M correctly. And when we are so used to the noise of the AC and the air blowing from that and from the fan... well... when that immediately shuts off, the silence is deafening. Seriously, ringing in the ears deafening. And then we hear Lucy in the next room "It's dark," because she has woken up, too... OR... as was the case all 3 of these nights, she's already been up since 2 am. For some strange, still unknown to us reason, Lucy woke up around 2 am for 4 nights in a row this week, giving us just 1 night (last night) where we all slept through the night. It was much needed. I think she's waking up and needs to go potty but is still not 100% able to do it by herself yet, so then she doesn't know what to do. Yep, for 2 of those 4 nights, she ended up sleeping in the bed with us. Because, well, when it's 3:15 am and I've been sitting by her bed for an hour singing to her, trying to calm her down and get her back to sleep... well... you just give in and let her get in the bed with you. At least that was, I'm in bed, too.
So, you can see. It was a long...L O N G... week. (At least the nighttime hours!)
Lucy's also lapsed into (what I knew would probably happen at some point) wetting the bed/herself/the floor. Not all the time. And not every time. But she's going through clothes and undies like there's no tomorrow! I knew this would probably happen, but I'm ready for it to stop! :)
BUT. She is cute. And she makes me super happy almost all of the time. And she is a huge miracle and blessing in my life!
So, here's the last few weeks of February:
Just being cute. Lucy is all of 3 years old. She is coming into her own individuality, which results into a lot of "Mine!" and "No!" (We're working on those.) And her personality is blossoming! She's in her own imaginary world most of the time.
I painted her nails for the 2nd time. She loved it and showed everyone!
Lucy started a new nursery (again) and this one is a keeper! It's so CLEAN! And one of my closest local friends owns it and runs it, so I trust her completely. She's been one of Lucy's teachers since we moved here and Lucy loves her. The only drawback of this school is that it's not very close to our school or our apartment. BUT, my amazing friend runs a school bus, so Lucy and her friend A get a ride to school and from school on a bus!
This was her first day.
(Would you ever put your 3 year old on a school bus? Sheesh, the things we do over here that we never thought we'd do!)
I am also happy to announce that Lucy loves to sing and can carry a tune! Yay!
She fell asleep on my one day after her nap time. I reckon she just wasn't quite ready to be awake!
And then the next day on her Daddy.
I interrupt this Lucy post to bring you a precious picture of our niece and nephew:
Alana holding her new baby brother, Collin. PRECIOUS.
Brad and I took a night away to celebrate Valentine's late and our 9th Anniversary early!
We headed to the Big D and spent the night at the "World's Tallest Hotel." We told them we were celebrating our anniversary and they upgraded us to the 51st floor!
View out our dirty window from the 51st floor to the city below.
In the distance to the right is the beach/ocean.
It was "Fisherman's Night" at the hotel restaurant, so Brad was in seafood heaven!
Crabs, clams...
Massive shrimp!
And then they even brought us this piece of cake. It was the lightest, most delicious layered blueberry cake. (Made me miss my sister Lesley who loves blueberries!)
But, sad news the next morning. Our friends Mr & Mrs G were keeping Lucy and they called to let us know she had been running a fever all day. Boo. So we cut our plans a little short and came on home to take care of our baby. Her fever reached 103.4 that night! That's the highest she's ever had! Thankfully, it broke late that night and the next day she was fine and has been ever since!
This was last week. (The dreadful week that I described above.)
Because of no sleep one night, we missed the school bus and so I had to drive Lucy to school in a friend's car. It's been quite windy in our little village-like town, and this day was exceptionally bad! I was driving like 5mph because I could barely see anything in front of me!
That's SAND blowing across the road.
So you can just imagine what your skin and hair and clothes feel like when you have to get out in that to walk your child up to school.
I had to stop for gas and the attendant was wearing a full ski mask with nothing but his eyes uncovered and then huge sunglasses to cover his eyes. I can't imagine what he found at the end of his shift when he took off that mask! It was SO windy! Sandstorms are quite amazing.
And this may be my favorite picture of the month. CUTENESS.
She was being especially cuddly one night. I'll take it.
And eating a green apple
She was SO tired from school one day and she just chilled on my lap for about 30 minutes.
Lucy's uniform!
All kids here, no matter what age, wear a uniform to school - just like they do in Africa. So, when the teachers commented to me that Lucy wasn't playing with any local kids, we decided to put her in uniform a few days a week to help her not stand out quite so much. No one has ever required her to wear it, which is odd to me. They treat her differently, so she behaves differently. We want to put a stop to this! This is why we're doing this. She threw a fit the first day but the second one was much better. We're only doing
2 days a week right now, but may do 3 later. We'll see.
2 days a week right now, but may do 3 later. We'll see.
And this is what we've been studying this week. And I've learned the first few in Arabic and been able to use them with local friends.
When was the last time you took in the goodness that is the Truth of the Gospel?
And now it's March. Wow.
(FYI, 3 months and 12 days until we're DONE with language school! Woohoo!)




























So much to comment! 1, that sand storm is NUTS! I would have tangles upon tangles. 2, Annabel thought these were pictures of Hazel, not Lucy :) 3, I love her little uniform. She looks so polished and tailored. It's just so unique. 4, You're almost done with language school!!!!
ReplyDelete